Do you want clearer skin, shinier hair, to lose weight, better gut health, more energy and better-quality sleep?! Do these 10 things for 21 days and watch your health completely transform! It’s not as difficult as you might think!
1. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!! Drink a minimum of 2L per day, make sure its filtered! If you don’t have a filter, investing in one can be one of the best things for your health to remove an abundance of chemicals in our water.
2. Eat protein at every meal. Adding a quality source of protein to each meal helps achieve macronutrient balance (an equilibrium between carbs, protein and fat) which is hugely beneficial for weight maintenance, tissue repair, exercise recovery, and mood stabilisation. Think good quality red and white meat (organic, free range), wild caught fish, nuts, seeds, organic free-range eggs or full fat Greek yoghurt.
3. Swap your white, refined carbs for low GI ones. Carbs get a bad wrap, but can be full of vitamins, minerals and fibre, just watch your portion size (on average ½ cup or less is ideal per meal). Swap the refined carbs for these options; quinoa, sweet potato, buckwheat, brown rice, wild rice, basmati rice, millet, amaranth or whole rolled/steel cut oats.
4. Don’t be afraid of FAT – not all fats are created equal, choose from this list on a daily basis and you’re on the right track; olive oil, nut oils, avocado oil, grass-fed organic Australian butter, ghee or coconut oil. Don’t forget about nuts, seeds and oily fish like salmon too.
5. Get sunlight every day – aim for 10-20 minutes daily exposure, unprotected and on as much surface area of the body as possible. Always ensure you don’t burn, everyone’s tolerance is different. This will help regulate your sleep/wake cycles and elevate your Vitamin D levels.
6. Move your body – in whatever way works for you get 30 minutes 3-4 days per week of movement in. Walking, swimming, yoga, gym, pilates, and there are plenty of home workout options where there are time constraints. Just prioritise it.
7. Add colour! Heard the saying ‘eat the rainbow’? Well there’s real merit to it, different colours in our fruits and vegetables means different nutrients. And our bodies LOVE variety. Buy something you’ve never tried this week and try to aim for 3-5 different colours every day!
8. Start drinking Bone Broth – this golden elixir will transform your gut health, mineral status and bonus, makes your skin clear and your hair shiny! Chop and add the following to a slow cooker for minimum 8 hours; whole organic chicken bones, 1/3 cup organic apple cider vinegar, 1 stick of celery, 1 onion, 1 carrot, 4-5 bay leaves, peppercorns, parsley, 2-3 slices of ginger, 2-3 cloves of garlic, 1 piece of lemon peel and a pinch of salt. Cover with water and strain when done 8 hours later! Alternatively there are plenty of good options available pre-made in health food stores.
9. Cut back on caffeine – 1 per day, make it organic and don’t add sugar! There are so many delicious alternatives, give your adrenals a break and opt for a turmeric latte or herbal tea, especially after 12pm.
10. Get 8 hours sleep – you have no idea how hard your body is working on repairing and rebuilding while you’re snoozing! If sleep is an issue for you, I suggest getting some naturopathic advice pronto. Good sleep is life changing and transformative for your health!